Saturday, April 14, 2007

Total Denial

My boyfriend and I went to see Total Denial screening last Wednesday. It is an award winning documentary film by Milena Kaneva about the human rights lawsuit, Doe vs. Unocal. It was very inspiring to see how human rights violations victims from a remote area of Burma, with the help of legal assistance from EarthRights International, sued a giant oil company and won the case. This victory sends out the message to all the corporations that they should think twice about doing business with the abandoned and dissolute military regime of Burma.

The following day I was sitting in one of my business classes at the Robert H. Smith School of Business, and we were discussing about globalization and how to manage global supply chain management. We talked about factors that a firm needs to consider when outsourcing in foreign countries and partnering with foreign companies/government. There are many barriers like cultural and language differences, political situation, trade policies, laws and regulations. So after class I had a conversation with my professor and I was able to share with him about the movie screening I went to the night before since it was relevant to the topic we discussed that day. I always take every opportunity to share with others about the atrocities and ever-worsening situation in Burma. It is important to me that I inform people I come in contact with about my passion, human rights and Burma.

Doe vs. Unocal was mentioned in my Human Resources Management textbook. I took that class last semester, and I was really excited when I saw that case in my book. In fact I even called the EarthRights International office in DC to tell them about it. Education is available and I like to believe that our generation will produce ethical and responsible businessmen and businesswomen. May be this is a wishful thinking. But I sincerely and truly believe in the goodness of humanity.

chasingfreedom,
~myatnoe

No comments: