Saturday, April 28, 2007

Padaukpan

The image of "Faith", Padaukpan blooms at New Year.

Dear Padaukpan,
I have been in Thailand for almost 2 months. I took the blooming Padaukpan, image of " Faith" and " Love", picture on the occasion of New Year festival, April 12 to 16 for you all.

Last week, I visited a Sunday school for Burmese migrant workers in Bangkok. There are around 680 young Burmese women and men studying English, Thai and computer at the school. The school has been running by an NGO, Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma (TACDB). It has been started with around a hundred students 3 years ago before I left Thailand and I used to help for that program as well. Now it grows up to more than 600 students. Luckily, a Buddhist education foundation let hires three stores school building for that program in downtown Bangkok. Khin Phyu Htway was once teacher in that school.
I talked with some Burmese migrant workers who have been working in garment factories in my last visit. They have to work more than 12 hours a day and they earn only around three thousands Baht (around 100 $ par month). They have to live in a small room and they even cannot have a well sleep under the heat at night.
I am going again to that school tomorrow, Sunday and I will help some students for their application to scholarship program of Australian Open University for Undergraduate studies. Some young students reached college level and some finished high school in Burma. The scholarship program is for Burmese Refugees in Thailand.

I am really happy to see my beloved Burmese, however at the same time I am really sad too. I do not want to see them in that poor situation.

Best,

ZMK.

1 comment:

Padauk Pan said...

Hay... U Zaw Moe Kyaw,

Good to see the padauk tree wich is blooming. I am jealous of you.

See u
Wm