Thursday, March 8, 2007

Religion, Politics, Friends, and everything else in between

So many things to share..... Where should I begin?
***********************************************************************************
Today, I had a chance to talk with a very good friend from my previous university. It was such a blessing to have the opportunity to share with him about the topic that is near to my heart, which is Burma. I am going to send him a documentary video recorded by Free Burma Rangers, so that he will be able to host a showing for the students at Andrews University.

When I was at Andrews, I worked with a law professor and a political science professor on starting a human rights related student organization. Since Andrews was a religious institution, I wanted to start a Religious Liberty Chapter. That would allow me to share with them about human rights issues around the world, especially in Burma. Writing the proposal and drafting the club's constitution was as far as I got. I felt very discouraged and disappointed because my peers showed no interest at all in what I was doing. I tried to collect signatures for a petition, and people politely listened to what I had to say and they politely refused to sign the petition. I didn't understand what was going on in their minds. So I concluded that Christians were only concerned with saving souls and that saving lives was secondary. I was dead wrong.

I learned that students at Andrews are currently very involved with human rights and activism. Perhaps I was not the right person and I was not there at the right time to introduce the issues such as international politics, human rights, freedom, and liberty. I felt so content to be asked to send resources so that the club there can grow, be more aware of what's going on in Burma, and take actions.
************************************************************************************
Global Day of Prayer for Burma
Sunday, March 11, 2007

I will be fasting and praying for Burma. Please join me. Burma needs freedom. Burma needs democracy. I believe Burma needs prayers and God's divine intervention.
************************************************************************************
My heroes

Our friends from the American University left today for Thailand. They are my inspiration because they choose to be a part of a movement that needs them. They have no obligations yet they take part and they do it with so much passion. They are my heroes. May God be with each one of you. Have a safe trip.
************************************************************************************
I'll stop here for this time.

Chasingfreedom,
~myat

No comments: