Wednesday, March 7, 2007

BBC Series on life in Burma and on the border

BBC Correspondent Kate McGeown has recently done a lengthy series on life both within Burma and in the border town of Mae Sot. Her first article in the series described what life is like in Mae Sot for the Burmese population, including references to the Yaung Chi Oo Workers Association and the surrounding refugee camps. I found this series so fascinating, having been to Mae Sot and seen some of the things she wrote about. The second article focused on the Karen National Liberation Army and the struggle that the Karen people have faced against the Burmese military.

The article that touched me the most was the third article McGeown wrote, which focused on Dr. Cynthia's clinic in Mae Sot. After visiting the clinic and seeing the patients and facilities first hand, there is something so strange about seeing it on the BBC website. I think it's wonderful that Dr. Cynthia's work is being recognized and present on the international stage. When I talked to my friends and family about how emotionally-impactful the trip to the clinic had been, I know that I caught their hearts. But I think reading about the clinic in a news article presents such an important side of the picture as well, by telling the stories of the patients being treated there. For example, I remember that many of the men making prosthetic limbs had lost legs themselves. Reading this article, I get to hear their stories that at the time I could only imagine.

1 comment:

ZaWaRee said...

The BBC Correspondent Kate McGeown’s reports on Thai-Burma border situation are truly outstanding. Also, check out a brilliant work of the solo journalist (SoJo), Kevin Sites @
http://hotzone.yahoo.com/myanmar;_ylt=Ap41kUrWtcKpeC6Snroq2Nm7u8wF. He covered Dr. Cynthia’s clinic, KNU, life in conflict zones and extensive news report on Burma with video, photos and essays. Keep up posting more interesting news on Burma. Thanks.