Friday, April 6, 2007

Cherry and Padauk

Hello! Friends,

Last Sunday, I went to Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. When I saw many cherry blossoms, I missed Padauk flowers from Burma. Every year in April, Burma celebrates its new year when the Padauk flowers are blooming. The yellow flowers and green leaves are in everywhere when people play with water in the humidified weather. On every small street, people are having fun by watering each other; some are making traditional food and let the players eat free food. On the main crowded roads, dancers and singers are entertaining the season and its audience. In the monastery, for the religious purpose, some people practice meditation while some make donations to Buddha and his sons, monks. I had never missed the new year festival when I lived in Burma. I hope to get a chance to enjoy the festival in Burma at least once in the rest of my life.

When I was looking at the cherry trees and thinking of Japan and U.S history, I felt the peace of the world. Hiroshima and these cherry trees prove peoples’ ability to forgiveness and love for peace. Even if Japanese people and government can forgive American people and establish a good relationship with the U.S, I have a question why Burmese people cannot forgive and build peace with each other.

Sadly, we cannot see the products of Burma in the U.S stores today due to the U.S trade sanction against Burma military regime. However, one day when freedom and justice are well balanced in Burma, I hope to see not only made-in-Burma products in America but also Padauk trees with beautiful and fragrant flowers given to the American people who supported for the freedom of Burma.
Winmay

No comments: