Thursday, February 22, 2007

Love in the mist of tragedy

Hello! My name is Myat Noe. I am a junior at the University of Maryland double-majoring in Operations Management and Logistics. Here is something I would like to share with you all. Please feel free to comment.


Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is a hero to many people. She is my personal hero. I admire her commitment to work for freedom and democratization. Her charisma, her intelligence, her perseverance, her meekness, her vision, and many more fine qualities make her a great leader. Recently, I have added one more reason to my list as to why she is my inspiration. I truly revere her for the sacrifices she made for Burma. Almost two decades ago she returned to Burma and hope was restored to the people. She was strong enough to make a decision to give up her current life as a mother, and as a wife to take on a great and difficult task. I am sure everyone knows her story well. I have been an activist and I have always supported the pro-democracy movement. I have read her biography and I thought I knew her well too. But I have never placed myself in her situation before until recently.


God has brought the man of my dreams into my life. I have found love and I just cannot image how heartbreaking and tormenting it would be to lose him. How did Daw Suu do it? I wonder how her family felt and how supportive they were of her decision. Would I have done the same thing? I thought I could. I was single; I was independent; I was alone, and I had nothing to lose. I was ready to exchange my life for Burma’s freedom. Would I give up life now? The more appropriate question is: Would I give up love and the chance of happiness with the man I adore to go back to Burma? Conditions in my life have changed. I no longer believe that I am courageous enough to make a sacrifice like that. I have someone special; I am looking forward to sharing a beautiful life with him. I am sure Daw Suu was content and that she had a happy life. Yet she forfeited everything to carry on a heavy burden. For that I respect her so much. I admire Daw Suu for her restless dedication to the people of Burma. I could never be like her.

The good news is I am blessed to have a special someone who does not only support me one hundred percent, but passionately and actively fighting for human rights and democracy along my side. I realized that I am not selfish. The truth of the matter is Daw Suu is profoundly altruistic. The lesson here is that we are all different and we each have a purpose in life and in the cause. As long as we continue to contribute our effort and work together as one I believe Burma will be freed. Long live Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

No comments: